So if you were looking at my last post and thinking “man, I wish I had a quick and delicious lettuce wrap recipe to use that with!” (You were thinking that, right? Of course you were) Today is your lucky day because I just so happen to have a quick and delicious lettuce wrap recipe to share.
This one is even made without tofu, so you can make it for your tofu-phobic friends and they won’t have to feel like they are eating weird vegan food. These are a great dinner party appetizer because you can serve the lettuce and filling separately and everyone can assemble their own wraps with as much filling as they like.
So first you’ll chop some veggies in the food processor – I used leek, carrot, parsley, mushrooms, and garlic, but you could really use a lot of different things. Onion, asparagus, bell pepper…it’s really very flexible so use what you have. Blend them up until they are chopped fine but not pureed.
Then take a medium skillet over medium heat and add your veggie mixture along with some fresh or frozen corn and heat it all up until it’s nice and warmed through. At this point you can stir in some sesame oil, rice vinegar, and if you’re in the mood for some spice a nice squirt of sriracha sauce (make sure to use vegan sriracha)
You can also throw in some chopped walnuts – I found that they added a nice crunch without being too obviously nutty. Once everything is nice and warm, transfer it to a serving bowl and serve along with a plate of romaine leaves (I like romaine but iceberg lettuce leaves could work too – anything that is firm enough to hold the filling and has a little bit of a crunch to it).
This would also make an excellent lunch option, it really only takes a few minutes to throw together but has a lot of nutrition and flavor! As I mentioned above, my carrot ginger dressing goes very well with these too.
Easy Lettuce Wraps
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 leek chopped and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped fine
- 3 tsp soy sauce or liquid amino's to make this soy-free
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- splash of sriracha sauce to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 heart of romaine or 1 head of iceberg lettuce leaves separated and rinsed
- Combine mushrooms, leek, parsley, carrot, and garlic in a food processor and blend until finely chopped but not pureed.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, combine chopped vegetable mixture with corn, walnuts, soy sauce, vinegar, oil, sriracha, and salt, and mix well. Heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is warm throughout and the liquid from the vegetables has mostly evaporated.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with romaine or iceberg leaves as the wrap.