This recipe was definitely a result of poor planning – namely, I realized I hadn’t thought of anything to make for lunch at around noon when we were already hungry. The only fresh veggies I had were a half carton of cherry tomatoes and a ripe avocado (that part was lucky!), so I turned to the pantry and freezer to add some black beans, corn, and lime juice. And a delicious quick and easy lunch was born!
It’s super easy – just heat up the beans and frozen corn in a saucepan until warm (you could actually skip this step if you use canned beans and canned corn, but I liked it with them a bit warm) and then combine them in a bowl with some avocado and cherry tomatoes. Or regular tomatoes, I doubt it really makes much difference.
In a separate small bowl, combine some lime juice (I used bottled because, as mentioned, I didn’t exactly plan ahead on this one, but fresh would be even better, that’s definitely what I’ll do next time), a dash of olive oil, some chili powder, and a pinch of salt and cayenne pepper. If you’re really on the ball you could add some garlic and cilantro, but let’s not go too crazy here!
Then just stir everything together until the beans and stuff are nice and coated and enjoy! So easy, but it really comes together with a nice complex flavor that will make it seem much more involved. This would be an awesome thing to bring to a party or a lunch because it’s great warm, room temperature, or cold.
I have to admit, lunch is definitely my weak spot – I usually stick with leftovers or salads, so I’d love to build up a repertoire of quick, easy, and portable meals that I can go to. So…any suggestions? Or stuff you’d like to see me try? I’ve got a couple sandwiches on the to-make list thanks to your suggestions on my Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich post, so do you have any other favorite lunch recipes?
Black Bean, Corn, and Avocado Salad
- Juice of 2-3 limes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ clove garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch cayenne pepper optional
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro optional
- 1 15 oz. can black beans rinsed
- ¾ c. frozen corn kernels
- 1 avocado peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
- 10-20 cherry tomatoes halved, or 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, cayenne, chili powder, and cilantro until well combined. In a medium saucepan, heat the corn and beans over medium heat until warm, then add to a medium bowl with avocado and tomatoes. Pour liquid mixture over bean mixture and stir until well coated. Serve immediately or refrigerate for an hour or so (if you want to make it up to a day or two before serving, you could combine everything except the avocados and then add those at the last minute so they don't brown).