Most of the time when I make soup I tend to make creamier blended ones (like my spinach and chickpea soup, or various creamy broccoli style soups), so the other day I decided to try making a more brothy type soup.
Minestrone sounded perfect, nice bits of vegetables and pasta swimming in broth. But for some reason I can’t have a pot of soup on the stove without adding every vegetable in the house (and in this case, a fair bit of pasta) so we’re going to go ahead and call this one less “brothy” and more “hearty.” But hey, at least it’s not blended!
Also it was delicious, so I think I can chalk it up as a success. The recipe I used claims that it is very similar to the Olive Garden version, which I don’t think I’ve had, but if you like that one hopefully this will hit the spot!
I didn’t really have to do much to “veganize” this, since it’s generally already vegan – I did use brown rice noodles to make it gluten free, though. As far as being nutritious this meal is definitely a winner – it’s got eight different vegetables, two different beans, and pretty much no fat, while managing to be super filling and tasty.
It’s also fairly simple – just chop up a bunch of vegetables, saute them in a big pot, add broth and more vegetables, and let simmer.
Once it’s simmered for a bit, throw in some spinach and your noodles and let them soften. That’s all there is to it! It does take maybe an hour, but most of that is just unattended simmering time – it really comes down to how fast you are at chopping vegetables with this one.
It also makes a bunch so you can have a couple leftovers or even freeze it in individual sized portions and reheat it whenever you want.
So what are your favorite soups? I realized I haven’t posted very many soup recipes and I should probably make a couple more before winter is fully and completely over! Any suggestions?
Hearty Vegan Minestrone Soup
- 1 cup minced white onion about 1 small onion
- ½ cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup fresh green beans chopped into 1/2" pieces
- ¼ cup minced celery about 1/2 stalk
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic about 4 cloves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 15 ounce can small white beans or great northern beans, drained
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- ½ cup carrot minced or shredded
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups hot water
- ½ cup red wine optional
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups small shell pasta use brown rice or other GF pasta to make this gluten free
- Saute onion, celery, garlic, green beans, and zucchini over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add vegetable broth to pot, plus tomatoes, beans, carrot, hot water, wine, and herbs and spices. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach leaves and pasta and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until desired consistency