One thing that’s kind of annoying about not eating animal products is the fact that you have to put up with all the punny recipe names. A girl can only take so many “Not-Dogs” and “Snobby Joes” (ok, that one is from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra and I actually think it’s pretty darn funny).
But now that I’m writing my own recipes, I discover that when these beans have no fat and haven’t even been fried once, let alone REfried, I’m reluctant to call them refried beans.
But I digress. These are essentially refried beans, they taste delicious, they are vegan & fat free. ‘Nuff said.
Vegan Refried Beans
- 3 cups Dried pinto beans
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp. Cumin optional
- 7-10 cups Water or vegetable broth start with 7, you may add more later
- 2-5 tsp. Salt again, start with less, it’s easy to add to taste at the end.
- Add all the ingredients to a slow cooker and heat on high for 4-8 hours (sorry for the wide time window, it kind of depends on how enthusiastic your slow cooker is. Check them every couple hours, once the beans are very soft you’re good to go.) Add more water/broth as needed to keep the beans just covered.
- Once the beans are soft, use an immersion blender or hand mixer to puree the beans until they have the consistency of refried beans. Taste and add salt as needed.