It seems like everyone is obsessed with bacon lately, doesn’t it? I don’t quite get it – I mean, I like bacon as much as the next gal, but I don’t know that I think it’s the best food in the world or anything.
That being said, I do love a good BLT! This vegan BLT recipe definitely fills that craving. You’re not going to be passing this stuff off as real bacon, but it’s got a great smoky, salty, crunchy thing going on that works really well on a sandwich, and could also be great crumbled over a salad or next to a tofu scramble.
First you need to slice some tempeh up as thin as you can – I slice mine down the long side and then cut it in half, but it doesn’t really matter, just depends on how long you want your slices to be.
Then mix together some soy sauce, spices, and a touch of agave or other sweetener if you want the sweet smoky flavor, and marinate the tempeh in the sauce for 10-30 minutes. (You can skip the marinating if you’re in a hurry.)
Pour the tempeh AND all of the marinade into a pan over medium-high heat, and cook until the sauce has evaporated and the tempeh is nice and charred on both sides – the time it takes can vary so just keep checking and flipping it until it’s nice and crunchy.
That’s it! To make a BLT just spread some mayo on bread and then add slices of tomato, lettuce, and some fresh avocado if you’re feeling feisty.
Vegan BLT with Sautéd Tempeh "Bacon"
- 1 block of tempeh sliced very thinly into strips
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce or Braggs liquid aminos
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Whisk together all ingredients except tempeh in a shallow dish (I used a pie plate)
- Add tempeh to liquid and marinate for about 30 minutes (you can skip the marinating step if you like)
- Pour tempeh and all of the marinade mixture into a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté for 5-10 minutes per side until liquid has evaporated and tempeh is blackened and crunchy. Serve immediately.
- To make a BLT, add mayo, lettuce, and tomato to sandwich bread - avocado is also great!