While you can’t go wrong with a classic coleslaw, sometimes it’s nice to switch things up. Case in point: This vegan broccoli salad is crunchy and tangy like coleslaw, but features raw broccoli florets instead of cabbage. It also calls for diced red onions (for some bite) and dried cranberries (for some sweetness). The result? A delicious, nutritious salad that’s packed with a medley of flavors.
To enjoy this broccoli salad, pair it with a wrap or sandwich. You can even add chunks of tofu bacon and cooked quinoa for a filling main dish.
How to Make Vegan Broccoli Salad
You Will Need:
- broccoli florets
- shredded carrots
- diced red onion
- sunflower seeds
- dried cranberries or raisins
- vegan shredded cheddar cheese
- vegan mayonnaise
- apple cider vinegar
- lemon juice
- maple syrup
- ground black pepper
- garlic powder
Pressed for time? Use pre-cut broccoli florets. You’ll need about 1 pound. And if you’re rinsing the broccoli first, be sure to dry it well so it doesn’t water down the dressing.
If you’re not a fan of raw onion, feel free to omit it. You can also substitute the dried cranberries for raisins and the sunflower seeds for slivered almonds. If you’re making a vegetarian version, use dairy shredded cheddar cheese or honey instead of maple syrup. There are many ways to customize this easy dish!
In a small bowl, whisk all the dressing ingredients together. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to let the flavors develop.
While the dressing is chilling, cut the broccoli and red onion. Add all the ingredients to a large bowl.
Tip: Save the hard, woody stems for homemade vegetable broth. You can also slice up the stems and add them to the salad.
Toss until the ingredients are evenly dispersed.
Remove the dressing from the refrigerator and give it a taste. If needed, add more spices, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, or maple syrup. You may want to keep track of your adjustments for the next time you make this recipe.
Next, pour the dressing onto the salad.
Toss the dressing and salad until fully combined.
The salad can be served immediately — but for best results, let the salad chill for two hours or overnight. This will let the veggies marinate and chill the entire salad.
To store leftover broccoli salad, transfer it to an air-tight container. Keep it in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
Easy Broccoli Salad
- 1 pound broccoli chopped into florets
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- ½ cup red onion diced
- 1 cup sunflower seeds or slivered almonds
- 1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheddar cheese optional
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- If you haven't already, chop the broccoli. Toss the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Taste the dressing. Add more spices, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, or maple syrup as needed.
- Pour the dressing onto the salad ingredients and toss until fully combined. Serve chilled.
- If you rinse the broccoli before adding with other ingredients, be sure to dry it well so it doesn’t water down the dressing.
- Nutritional information is a rough estimate automatically calculated by the Spoonacular food database and does not include optional ingredients.