Whether you’re cutting back on dairy or adopting a vegan diet, learning how to make cashew cheese is a must. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s healthy and delicious, too. Plus, once you perfect the technique, you can incorporate the cheese into meals like sandwiches and wraps.
This sun-dried tomato version is our favorite way to make cashew cheese. From the tart sun-dried tomatoes to the cheesy nutritional yeast, this recipe is hard to resist. Serve it with crackers, veggies, or all of the above.
It’s surprisingly easy to make vegan sun-dried tomato cheese. First, you’ll need 2 cups of cashews soaked in hot water. You’ll also need sun-dried tomatoes, oil of your choice, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, and vegan cream cheese.
Let the cashews soak for at least 30 minutes and drain well.
Add the cashews to a food processor, pausing to scrape down the sides as necessary.
Eventually, the cashews will form a thick paste. The mixture is ready once you can roll it up into a ball.
Add the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, nutritional yeast, and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Slowly add the sun-dried tomatoes. For even more flavor, you can add freshly chopped herbs like basil or parsley.
Finally, add the vegan cream cheese. This will help make the cashew cheese creamy and smooth. If you can’t find vegan cream cheese, you can use soft tofu instead.
Process the ingredients until thoroughly combined. Keep blending until it reaches your ideal texture. At this point, you can do a taste test and adjust the ingredients according to your preference. For example, for a cheesier flavor, slowly add more nutritional yeast. You can also add more sun-dried tomatoes, salt, or apple cider vinegar. For a smoother texture, try adding more vegan cream cheese or olive oil.
The cheese is ready to be served as a spread. Alternatively, if you’d like to cut and spread it, you’ll need to chill it first. Place a cheese cloth or clean tea towel on top of a large bowl. Using a spatula, scoop the cashew cheese on top.
Gather the edges of the cloth and secure with a rubber band. Mold the cheese into a ball, disc, or log. Chill in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours or overnight. Once refrigerated, the cashew cheese will hold it shape.
Serve the sun-dried tomato cashew cheese with your favorite crackers or veggies. It pairs well with carrots, celery, and cucumbers.
How would you serve this sun-dried tomato cheese? Let us know your ideas, below.
Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Cashew Cheese
- Soak the cashews in hot water for at least 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Process the cashews in a food processor until it forms a thick paste.
- Add the nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, oil, garlic powder, and salt. Continue blending the mixture, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and blend.
- Add the cream cheese. Process until thoroughly combined and smooth. Taste the cheese and adjust the ingredients, if necessary.
- If using as a spread, serve the cheese as is. Otherwise, place a cheese cloth on top of a large bowl. Scoop the mixture onto the cloth and tie the edges with a rubber band.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours. Serve with crackers, vegetables, or fruit.