Some days, you just want a burger. May seems like a pretty good month for one. Between National Burger Day on May 28th and the weather warming up, firing up the grill and sinking your teeth into a plant-based patty is a nice way to remember to enjoy life’s little pleasures— even if this spring looks so different than most.
With more protein than conventional beef and nuanced, umami-heavy flavor, this month we’re digging into Beyond Burgers plant-based patties. Made without GMOs, soy or gluten, the delectable burgers play nice with a squirt of ketchup and mustard, and a side of simple vegan coleslaw, but really are next level when served with this easy-to-make Mexican street corn (also known as elote). With brightness from lime juice and zest and a hint of smoky heat from chili powder, feel free to alter the elote recipe to fit your palate. Not into cilantro? Try replacing it with some fresh chopped mint or parsley. No fresh herbs? Add some chopped romaine lettuce or even fresh cherry tomatoes to the mix.
However you tweak it, rest assured this is one burger entrée where you definitely won’t miss the beef.
Beyond Elote Burger
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
1 package Beyond Burger™ Patties
1 avocado, halved and sliced
Plant-based Elote Ingredients:
2 corn on the cob, kernels removed
2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
2 tablespoons vegan sour cream
½ tablespoon olive oil
½ lime zested and juiced
2 teaspoons chili powder
¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
Plant-based ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Grill corn until all sides are charred. Cut grilled corn kernels from cobs.
- In a small bowl, mix together vegan mayonnaise, vegan sour cream, olive oil, lime zest and juice, chili powder, cilantro, and vegan Parmesan.
- Add corn kernels and stir, seasoning generously with kosher salt.
- Grill Beyond Burger™ patties on a lightly oiled, heated gas grill. Grill on medium-high for 3 minutes on one side. Flip and grill for another 3-4 minutes.
- Top the bottom bun with lettuce leaf followed by Beyond Burger™, sliced avocado, and the Mexican street corn mixture.
- Place top bun on and enjoy!
Check out the video below if you really want to get your stomach growling.
Recipe courtesy Beyond Meat.
If you’re looking for another great burger recipe for your next SDBBQ (Socially Distanced BBQ), try these Vegan Portobello Burgers with Chipotle Mayo.