Of the foods people miss when initially making the vegan shift, eggs can rank pretty high. Thanks to plant-based food innovator, JUST, however, that craving can be cured as quickly as you can utter “breakfast sandwich.”
And utter breakfast sandwich we will. With the new Folded JUST Egg, a completely vegan egg alternative released last month, you can have the vegan egg sandwich of your dreams. With seven grams of protein (equivalent to an egg) and 100 calories per plant-based egg patty, just heat up the frozen food product in the microwave, skillet, toaster, or oven and enjoy.
In addition to being made entirely from plants, JUST Egg is an impressively sustainable product: To make it, JUST uses 98% less water, emits 93% less CO2, and uses 86% less land than conventional animal sources. To date, JUST has sold the vegan equivalent of what amounts to 30 million chicken eggs, saving 1 billion gallons of water; 4.41 million kg of CO2; and over 7.25 million square meters of land. No small feat considering the company originated in 2011.
Ready to dig in? Check out the recipe for the spicy “egg” breakfast sandwich and get ready to make an encore serving for dinner.
JUST’s Spicy Egg Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 JUST Egg Folded
- 4 pieces thickly sliced bread
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced (see note)
- Optional: Vegan chipotle mayo and/or vegan cheese
- Sauté the jalapeños
- Heat a small skillet over high heat. Add a bit of oil, then add the sliced jalapeños and a pinch of salt. Sauté until softened and starting to brown and blister in spots. Note: For less heat, swap out the jalapeño with sliced bell peppers.
- Heat the two JUST Egg Folded in a toaster, skillet, oven or microwave, according to the box directions. Toaster: Place JUST Egg in standard toaster and heat on high for 6 ½ minutes. Skillet: Warm a bit of oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook JUST Egg for 5 minutes and flip halfway through. Oven: Preheat oven to 350°F. Wrap JUST Egg in foil and bake for 15 minutes. Microwave: Wrap JUST Egg in a paper towel, place on a microwave-safe plate and heat on high for 1 ½ minutes.. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, until heated through and lightly browned.
- Pan-fry the bread: Heat a wide skillet over medium heat. Lightly butter both sides of the bread slices. Fry the bread slices until browned and crispy on both sides, using a spatula to press it down lightly and help fry evenly.
- Assemble the sandwiches: If desired, spread each piece of bread generously on one side with chipotle mayo and layer the bottom pieces of bread with two slices of cheese each. Top with folded JUST Egg, followed by sautéed jalapeños. Close the sandwiches and enjoy immediately–or take to-go.