Jackfruit is all the rage right now, and it’s easy to see why. This tropical fruit is jam-packed with essential nutrients like protein, vitamin A, iron, and calcium — just to name a few. It also doubles as an amazing meat substitute! When cooked, the texture of unripe jackfruit is shockingly similar to pulled pork or chicken. That’s why it’s the perfect ingredient for tasty vegan dishes like this jackfruit taco recipe.
After all, tacos are some of the most fun foods to make. (Why else would Taco Tuesday exist?) They’re easy to customize based on your preferences, dietary needs, or whatever you have on hand. Plus, if you’re hosting a party, each guest can construct their own taco. Tacos basically double as food and entertainment.
And thanks to this vegan jackfruit recipe, you can take your taco game to the next level. This tutorial also explains how to make avocado lime sauce, one of my favorite homemade condiments.
First, gather your ingredients. Make sure to buy young green jackfruit in brine or water, not syrup. Jackfruit in syrup is ripe and sweet, so it won’t work as a meat substitute. (It would make a great smoothie, though.) You should be able to find canned jackfruit at health food stores, specialty Asian groceries, or Amazon.
To prepare the jackfruit, drain the liquid and give it a quick rinse. Next, you’ll need to chop it up. The outer edge of each piece will likely shred apart very easily. However, the core is quite tough, so you’ll need to slice it into smaller bits. If you find seeds, don’t throw them away; they’re edible!
Add the canola oil to a pan over medium heat. (If you don’t have canola oil, you can use any type of neutral oil, like safflower or grapeseed oil.) Sauté the onions and garlic until the onions are fragrant and slightly clear.
Add the jackfruit, broth or water, maple syrup, and spices. Mix well.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the jackfruit.
While the jackfruit is cooking, make the avocado lime sauce.
In a blender or food processer, combine all the ingredients until smooth. If necessary, add water to thin it out. You can also add more spices or lime juice based on your preference.
When it’s time to eat, warm the soft taco shells and add the jackfruit. Follow with taco ingredients like chopped tomatoes, corn, salsa, or beans. (Pick your favorite!) Top it off with a heaping spoonful of avocado lime sauce and fresh cilantro.
Aside from this delicious recipe, there are many ways to enjoy jackfruit taco “meat.” For example, you can serve it with nachos or make a burrito bowl. You can also toss it with your fresh veggies for a taco salad. The possibilities are endless, nutritious, and delicious.
Jackfruit Tacos with Avocado Lime Sauce
Jackfruit Taco Meat
- 2 20 oz cans jackfruit young green, in brine or water
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Avocado Lime Sauce
- 2 avocados
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 3-4 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or onion powder
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Chop and shred into small pieces. The seeds are edible, so don’t throw them away.
- In a pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Cook the onions and garlic until the onions are slightly clear.
- Add the jackfruit, broth or water, maple syrup, and spices. Mix and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the jackfruit has absorbed most of the liquid.
- To make the sauce, combine the avocados, olive oil, water, lime juice, and spices in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- To serve, warm up 8 to 10 6″ taco shells and add the jackfruit and your favorite taco fillings (options: tomatoes, corn, salsa, beans, fresh cilantro, lime wedges). Top with avocado lime sauce and cilantro.