Whether you’re craving takeout or simply need an easy weeknight meal, this crispy teriyaki tofu bowl is a must. It’s full of flavor, color, and of course — veggies. The dish even features a teriyaki sauce that’s completely made from scratch.
But as you can probably guess, the crispy tofu is the star of this recipe. From the meaty texture to the flaky crust, it serves as the perfect vehicle for the homemade teriyaki sauce. But if you’ve never made crispy tofu before, don’t worry — it’s surprisingly easy! To learn how to make it, check out our recipe for crispy baked tofu.
Once you’ve prepared the tofu, you’re ready to whip up this delicious crispy teriyaki tofu bowl.
First, gather your ingredients for the homemade teriyaki sauce. This includes soy sauce, maple syrup, rice vinegar, ground ginger, garlic powder, sesame oil, cold water, and cornstarch. If you’d like to make a gluten-free version, use tamari instead of soy sauce. You can also omit the sesame oil, which is simply used for flavor. This is the beauty of making your own condiments; you can adjust it according to your preferences.
Set aside the cornstarch and water. In a small pan over low-medium heat, add the remaining ingredients. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
In a small bowl, combine the cold water and cornstarch to make a slurry. This will help thicken the teriyaki sauce.
Add the cornstarch-water mixture to the pan and whisk well. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Once the sauce is thick and smooth, remove it from the heat and let cool.
To construct your teriyaki bowl, you’ll need rice, teriyaki sauce, crispy baked tofu, and vegetables of your choice. We used broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, bell peppers, and avocado, but feel free to use your favorite veggies. You can also use quinoa instead of rice.
In a bowl, toss the crispy baked tofu and teriyaki sauce until the tofu is evenly covered.
Fill a serving bowl with cooked rice. Top with vegetables and crispy teriyaki tofu. If you’d like, garnish with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro. You can enjoy the bowl as is or toss the ingredients together.
We used raw, uncooked vegetables, but you’re welcome to saute or roast them before making this bowl. Another idea is to toss all of the ingredients with teriyaki sauce. After all, you can never have enough teriyaki!
What vegetables will you use in your teriyaki tofu bowl? Let us know in the comments below.
Crispy Teriyaki Tofu Bowl
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
Teriyaki Tofu Bowl
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 12 ounces crispy baked tofu
- bell peppers
- sesame seeds
- In a small pan over low-medium heat, combine all of the sauce ingredients except the cornstarch and water. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and cold water. Add to the pan and whisk until combined. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes or until the sauce is smooth and thick Let cool.
- Combine the crispy baked tofu and teriyaki sauce in a separate bowl. Toss until the tofu is evenly covered.
- To serve, fill a bowl with cooked rice. Add the teriyaki tofu and vegetables and garnish with sesame seeds.