Hey, plant-based meal preppers: We’ve got the perfect recipe for your weekly menu. These high protein vegan breakfast burritos are easy, delicious, and loaded with 24 grams of plant-based protein to fuel your busy mornings. They call for a “base” of kidney beans and tofu scramble, but from there, anything goes! Make a batch in the beginning of the week and simply reheat the fillings each morning.
How to Make It
To make high protein vegan breakfast burritos, you will need:
- diced yellow or red onion
- diced bell peppers
- extra-firm or firm tofu
- large flour or corn tortillas
- nutritional yeast
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- kidney beans
- diced potatoes
You can alsoplan customize your burritos with add-ins like:
Quinoa, in particular, is an excellent choice for even more plant protein plus healthy carbs.
If you’re adding potatoes to your burrito (or enjoying them on the side), dice a potato into cubes and toss with oil. Roast at 450° Fahrenheit for 20 minutes, give or take. You may need more or less time, dependng on the size of your cubes.
With a large fork, crumble up the tofu in a large bowl.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil. Cook the onions and bell peppers, if using, for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
Add the tofu, spices, and nutritional yeast. Use a spatula to further crumble, or “scramble,” the tofu.
At this point, you can add leafy greens, like kale or spinach. If using raw greens, simply cook until the leaves are wilted. You can also toss in cooked greens, like we did, if you already have them on hand.
Place a tortilla on a flat surface. Add a layer of beans, potatoes, and tofu scramble, working horizontally across the center. The exact proportions will depend on the size of your tortilla, as well as your preference. (For example, for our burritos, we used more tofu than potatoes and kidney beans.) Don’t forget your extra add-ins, too.
Fold the sides toward the center of the tortilla.
Fold up the bottom of the tortilla, up and over the filings.
Tuck the bottom of the tortilla around and under the fillings, and roll into a burrito. You may need to tuck in the sides as well.
Slice and serve with a condiment of your choice. Tasty ideas include:
- vegan BBQ sauce
- vegan sour cream
- cashew cheese sauce
Depending on your fillings (and the size of your tortillas), one recipe will yield four to six burritos.
High Protein Vegan Breakfast Burrito
Vegan Breakfast Burritos
- 1/4 cup onion yellow or red, diced
- 1/2 cup bell peppers deseeded and diced
- 14 ounces tofu extra firm or firm, pressed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 15 ounces kidney beans
- 1 potato medium sized
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 4 tortillas 4-6 large sized
- If using potoatoes, toss with oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 450° Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender and golden brown.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Cook the onions and bell peppers, if using, for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, crumble up the tofu with a large fork. Add to the saucepan, along with the spices and nutritional yeast. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, crumbling further with a spatula. Add leafy greens, if using, and cook until wilted.
- Place a large tortilla on a flat surface. Add a layer of beans, potatoes, tofu scramble, and other add-ins of your choice. Fold the sides toward the center, the fold up the bottom. Tightly roll into a burrito, tucking in the sides as necessary. Serve with salsa, guacamole, or vegan sour cream.