Equal parts tangy and sweet, this salad is perfect for your summer menu. The mango offers a creamy sweetness, while the cucumber adds a fresh crunch. Top it off with rice vinegar, lime juice, crushed red pepper, and cilantro — and you have a nutritious salad that’s bursting with flavor. You can even enjoy it as a salsa with tortilla chips or on top of tacos. Yum!
You Will Need:
- diced mango
- diced cucumber
- diced red onion
- fresh cilantro
- lime juice
- rice vinegar
- maple syrup or white sugar
- black pepper
- crushed red pepper
- mild olive oil
If you’ve never worked with fresh mango before, check out our tutorial on how to cut a mango. You can also buy pre-cut mango at the grocery store and cut the chunks into smaller cubes.
For a side salad, cut the mango and cucumber into 1-inch chunks. Or, if you’re planning to eat it as a salsa, dice both ingredients into smaller pieces.
If you haven’t already, juice the lime. You’ll need about half a lime, but feel free to add more or less, depending on your taste buds.
In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, rice vinegar, sweetener, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and olive oil. Whisk well.
If you’re not a fan of spicy notes, feel free to skip the crushed red pepper.
In a large bowl, combine the diced mango, cucumber, red onion, and chopped cilantro.
Add the dressing, then toss well until combined.
Taste the salad. Add more lime juice, rice vinegar, cilantro, sweetener, and/or spices, if necessary. Serve immediately or chilled.
Enjoy this mango cucumber salad on its own or as a side dish. You can also pair it with:
If you have leftovers, store it in the refrigerator in a covered, air-tight container. Eat within 3 days.
Mango Cucumber Salad
- 1 mango diced
- 1 cucumber deseeded and diced
- 1/3 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice about 1/2 lime
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, rice vinegar, sweetener, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the diced mango, cucumber, red onion, and chopped cilantro. Add the dressing, then toss well until combined.
- Give the salad a taste. Add more lime juice, cilantro, sweetener, and/or spices, if necessary. Serve immediately or chilled on its own or as a side. You can also enjoy it with tacos, burritos, rice, leafy greens, or tortilla chips.
- You can enjoy this salad as a side, topping, or incorporated into a main dish.
- Nutritional information for this recipe is a rough estimate automatically calculated by the Spoonacular food database and does not include optional ingredients.