At first glance, the concept of carrot hot dogs might seem… weird. But if you’re looking for a healthier, less-processed alternative to “meat” hot dogs from the grocery store, you have to try this recipe. Carrots are marinated in a blend of soy sauce, liquid smoke, and apple cider vinegar—then roasted (or grilled) until fork tender. The result? A delicious plant-based “hot dog” that’s perfect for summer gatherings.
Even if you do eat meat, something tell us that you’ll be pleasantly surprised by this vegan and vegetarian hot dog recipe.
To make carrot hot dogs, you will need:
- vegetable broth
- soy sauce
- Dijon mustard
- smoked paprika
- liquid smoke
- apple cider vinegar
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- maple syrup
- hot dog buns (gluten-free, if necessary)
Due to the hot dog buns, this recipe isn’t necessarily 100% free of processed ingredients. But compared to vegetarian “hot dogs” (which can be quite salty) or the real thing, opting for whole carrots makes a huge difference. You can even use lettuce wraps or forgo the buns for simpler, lighter carrot dogs.
First, peel the carrots.
Trim the carrots to fit your hot dog buns. Tip: Save the trimmed pieces and marinate them in leftover marinade to make vegan pigs in a blanket!
In a bowl or container, combine all the marinade ingredients.
Whisk until combined, making sure to break up the mustard as much as possible.
Pour the marinade over the carrots. Marinate for at least 30 minutes, rotating once halfway. For best results, marinate them overnight or for 24 hours. The longer you marinate the carrots, the better the flavor.
When you’re ready to roast the carrots, preheat the oven to 425°F. Drain the carrots; save the marinade. Line a baking dish with parchment paper. Place the carrots on the parchment and liberally brush with oil and leftover marinade.
Cover with aluminum foil to prevent the carrots from burning. Roast for 20 minutes.
Remove the alumnium and flip the carrots. Liberally brush with oil and marinade once more. Roast for another 20 minutes or until fork tender, but still has some resistance. Start checking the carrots a few minutes before the 20-minute mark to make avoid overcooking.
Depending on the thickness of your carrots, you might need to roast them for an additional 5 or more minutes. In either case, be sure to check them frequently.
If you’re lucky enough to have a grill, you can also use it to prepare your carrot dogs. Heat it to medium-high and grease the grate. Cook the carrots for 4 to 5 minutes, flipping once, or until somehwat charred and browned.
Place the carrot dogs in hot dog buns and add your favorite toppings, such as:
- vegan ketchup
- vegan BBQ sauce
- diced onion
- fresh parsley
- vegan shredded cheese
- caramelized onions
And don’t forget about the sides! We love eating these with vegan BBQ baked beans or vegan coleslaw—or a simple grilled corn on the cob (with plant-based butter, of course). Enjoy!
Easy Carrot Hot Dogs
- 8 carrots medium sized
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt if using low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 8 hot dog buns gluten-free, if necessary
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Peel the carrots. Trim to fit into the hot dog buns.
- In a bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. Whisk well. Pour over the carrots. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight, preferably. For best results, marinate for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking dish with parchment paper. Drain the carrots. Place the carrots in the dish and liberally brush with oil and leftover marinade. Cover with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Flip the carrots and liberally brush with oil and marinade. Roast for another 20 minutes or until the carrots are fork tender with some bite. If your carrots are thick, you might need to extend the cooking time for another 5 to 10 minuts.
- If using a grill, preheat to medium-high heat and grease grate. Grill the carrots for 4 to 5 minutes, flipping once. Cook until the carrots are somewhat charred or browned.
- Place the carrot dogs in hot dogs buns and add your favorite toppings.