If you’re crazy about hummus, you’re not alone. We’re big fans of this versatile and nutritious dip! In fact, we’ve even made not one, not two — but four types of hummus in an earlier post. And now, we’re back at it with this stunning roasted beet hummus recipe.
Made with just 10 basic ingredients, beet hummus is equal parts colorful and delicious. It’s also surprisingly easy to make, even if you’re new healthy cooking. All you need to do is roast, blend, and eat. Count us in.
For this roasted beet hummus recipe, you’ll need one medium beet (or two small beets), two cloves of garlic, chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, you can use regular white vinegar. You’ll also need some water to thin out the hummus (if necessary).
Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Drizzle olive oil on the beet and garlic then wrap in aluminum foil. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until the beet is soft and easily pierced by a fork.
Peel away the beet’s skin. It should slide off with ease.
Chop the beet into cubes. Add the chopped beet and garlic cloves to a food processor.
Pulse the food processor until the beet is finely diced.
Add the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and spices. Don’t add the olive oil just yet.
Pulse the food processor to combine the ingredients, scraping down the sides as necessary. This may take a few minutes.
Continue blending the ingredients. Once the mixture forms a thick paste, slowly add 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Finally, add water, one tablespoon at a time. Keep adding water until it reaches your preferred consistency.
Taste the hummus and add extra ingredients as needed. You can customize your batch by adding extra salt, pepper, vinegar, lemon juice, or your favorite spices. Some people like to add dried parsley to beet hummus. It’s up to you and your taste buds.
When you’re ready to dig in, top the hummus with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkling of sesame seeds or sunflower seeds. Pair with crackers, pita, or veggie sticks. You can even use it for a hummus wrap. Enjoy!
Roasted Beet Hummus
- 1 beet medium
- 2 garlic cloves
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Drizzle the beet and garlic cloves with olive oil. Wrap in aluminum foil and roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until the beet is soft and easily pierced with a fork.
- Peel the beet and chop into cubes. Add the beet and garlic cloves to a food processor. Pulse until the beet is finely diced.
- Add the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Blend until combined.
- Slowly add 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Finally, add water, one tablespoon at a time. Continue adding water and blending until the mixture reaches your preferred consistency.