With ingredients like vegan mayo, mustard, and garlic powder, this easy-to-make side dish features the quintessential flavors of traditional potato salad.
Depending on the serving size, the following recipe can feed 6 to 8 people. But if you need to feed a big crowd, you can easily make a large batch. Just multiply all of the ingredients by two (or three).
Plus, like traditional potato salad, this dish can be customized as much as you like. For instance, you can add paprika or chili powder for that extra “oomph.” Another option is to incorporate vegetables like radishes, peas, or diced carrots. When it comes to potato salad, anything goes!
This vegan potato salad recipe calls for just 10 ingredients. You’ll need eight baby potatoes (about 2 pounds), apple cider vinegar, vegan mayonnaise, yellow mustard, pickles, green onion, celery, and spices. I used baby red potatoes, but you can use yellow ones too. If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, substitute with lemon juice or white vinegar instead.
Slice the potatoes in half. (If you’d like to remove the skin after boiling, skip this step. It will be easier to remove the skin off whole potatoes.)
Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cooking for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. You should be able to easily pierce them with a fork.
While the potatoes are cooking, make the dressing. Combine the mayonnaise, mustard, and spices. You can adjust the ingredients according to your taste buds. Place in the refrigerator to let the flavors develop.
Drain the potatoes once they’re done cooking. Let cool. If you’re peeling the potatoes, you can do that now. Slice the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and place in a big bowl. Toss with vinegar or lemon juice.
Add the chopped celery, green onions, and pickles. Feel free to add more or less of these ingredients. Toss until combined.
Add the dressing and mix well.
Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving. Like traditional potato salad, this will help the flavors meld together.
What would you pair with this vegan potato salad? Let us know in the comments, below!
Vegan Potato Salad
- 8 red baby potatoes
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- ¼ cup pickles diced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cut the potatoes in half and place in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer, cooking for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, and spices in a bowl. Mix well and chill in the refrigerator.
- Drain the potatoes and cut into bite-sized pieces. Place in a large bowl and toss with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
- Add the celery, green onions, and pickles. Toss well.
- Add the dressing and mix. Chill for at least 30 minutes.