There are few things more comforting than a stack of homemade pancakes. Top it off with vegan butter, fresh fruit, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Yum. But while you’re at it, why not add an extra dose of protein? By adding plant-based protein powder to the batter, you can make a basic pancake recipe extra-satisfying.
Besides, smoothies and shakes aren’t the only ways to use protein powder. Read on to learn how to make vegan protein pancakes at home.
How to Make Vegan Protein Pancakes
To make this easy pancake recipe, you’ll need all-purpose or whole wheat flour, non-dairy milk, vegan vanilla protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. You’ll also need maple syrup or coconut sugar to sweeten the pancakes.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. If using coconut sugar, or another dry sweetener, you can also add it now.
Stir until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Add the maple syrup, if using. Mix well.
Slowly add the non-dairy milk, stirring constantly. Mix until the batter is thick but pourable. Add more milk as necessary. If you’re using whole wheat flour, you’ll likely need more liquid than if you were using all-purpose.
Optional: Stir in add-ins for extra flavor and fun. About 1/3 cup total should do the trick, but feel free to add more, if you’d like. For our pancakes, we filled a 1/3 measuring cup with both coconut flakes and raisins, then mixed them into the batter.
Here are a couple tasty ideas for pancake add-ins:
- Dried cranberries
- Chopped dried apricots
- Vegan chocolate chips
- Shredded coconut
- Chopped walnuts, almonds, pecans, etc.
- Chopped fresh fruit, like strawberries or apples
You can also add a dash of:
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Maple extract
- Lemon extract
- Vanilla extract
- Citrus zest
In a large pan over medium-low heat, warm about 1 tablespoon of vegan butter until melted. You can also use olive oil. Scoop 1/3 cups of pancake batter into the pan, carefully spreading out each dollop into a circle.
Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until the edges are crispy and the center bubbles. Flip and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve immediately. Top with vegan butter, maple syrup, and fruits like sliced bananas or berries. You can also add another sprinkling of coconut flakes or cinnamon. Anything goes when it comes to pancakes!
This recipes makes about 6 small pancakes or 4 big ones. To make more servings, simply double or triple the recipe.
Easy Vegan Protein Pancakes
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk plus more as needed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or whole wheat
- 1/4 cup vegan protein powder
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes, raisins, or chocolate chips optional
- Vegan butter
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the maple syrup, if using. Mix well.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring until the mixture is thick. Add more liquid until the batter is pourable.
- Add coconut flakes, raisins, or other mix-ins, if using. Stir well.
- In a large pan over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon vegan butter. Scoop 1/3 cups of batter onto the pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until light golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve immediately with vegan butter, maple syrup, or fruit.