When it comes to soup, there’s nothing quite as comforting as potato soup. Whether it’s thick and creamy or chunky and hearty, there’s just something about this starchy vegetable that warms the soul and conjures feelings of home.
If you love potato soup as much as we do, you’re going to want to check out these nine fantastic potato-centric soup recipes.
Still can’t get enough spuds? Here are more vegan potato recipes worth cooking up.
Why Eat More Potatoes?
Potatoes get a bad rap for being overloaded with starch. But these tubers are actually fairly nutritious.
While they are not high in fiber, the skins do contain a decent amount of insoluble fiber. And some of the starch in potatoes is resistant starch, which helps feed good bacteria and support gut health.
Potatoes are a good source of some minerals, including potassium. And they are rich in vitamins, including vitamin C, folate, and vitamin B6.
While you may not want to eat white potatoes for every meal, they can be a vital part of a balanced vegan diet.
1. Chunky Vegan Potato Leek Soup
Vegan, Gluten-free, Nut-free | Total time: 40 minutes
You’ve never had potato leek soup like this before. With chunky vegetables and plenty of seasoning, this fresh take on an old standby is worth trying out. It’s ready in just 40 minutes and makes an excellent side dish or a filling main when served with a warm loaf of crusty bread.
2. Easy Vegan Potato Soup
Vegan, Gluten-free, Nut-free | Total time: 30 minutes
Do you want to know the trick to making delightfully creamy vegan potato soup? Canned coconut milk! This delicious potato soup recipe takes the coconut milk trick to the next level by adding hearty vegetables and delicious toppings like vegan sour cream, vegan cheese, and plant-based bacon.
3. Vegan Potato Soup with Tempeh Bacon
Vegan, Nut-free | Total time: 45 minutes
Did someone say comfort food? This gluttonously good for you potato soup is sure to warm the soul. It has all the flavorful veggies you’d expect to find in potato soup with the decadent addition of flour and vegan milk to really up the thick and creamy factor.
Want to take this dish over the top? Serve it with our amazing tempeh bacon sprinkled on top.
4. Creamy Vegan Potato Soup with Coconut Milk
Vegan, Gluten-free, Nut-free | Total time: 50 minutes
Don’t let the simplicity of this recipe fool you, it delivers an impressive amount of flavor despite that relatively short list of ingredients. Coconut milk adds the creaminess to this blended soup while tried-and-true ingredients like onion, garlic, and dried herbs deliver on the flavor front. This is my go-to recipe when the produce drawer is bare.
5. Vegan Instant Pot Potato Soup
Vegan, Gluten-free, Low Fat | Total time: 35 minutes
Need a healthy yet filling weeknight dinner option the whole family will love? This instant pot potato soup has you covered. By using your pressure cooker, you can cook up a delicious, vegetable-packed soup without the oil in half the time. A variety of herbs and spices bring the flavor while nutritional yeast adds the umami yumminess that many vegan potato soups are missing.
6. Crock-Pot Potato, Corn And Jalapeno Soup
Vegan, Gluten-free, Low Fat | Total time: 8 hours
This unique potato soup recipe will bring some southwestern flair to your bowl. Simmering jalapenos, corn, potatoes, and spices in a crockpot for hours brings out the rich flavor of each ingredient for a powerful taste explosion. This spicy soup will warm you from the inside out.
7. Creamy Potato & Green Split Pea Soup
Vegan, Gluten-free, Nut-free | Total time: 40 minutes
This protein-filled potato soup packs a nutritional punch to keep you fighting through the cooler, shorter days of autumn. Cooking it in an instant pot turns hard split peas and raw potatoes into something delectably creamy in just under 40 minutes. We highly recommend going the extra mile and serving this with homemade croutons.
8. Vegan Potato Kale Soup
Vegan, Gluten-free | Total time: 55 minutes
This recipe adds some greens to your bowl without sacrificing the hearty, creaminess that makes potato soup so delightful. Cashews, non-dairy milk, and nutritional yeast team up with hearty veggies, fistfuls of kale, and simple spices to give you a traditional-tasting potato soup without all the empty calories.
9. Vegan Smoky Broccoli Potato Soup
Vegan, Gluten-free, Nut-free, Low Fat | Total time: 55 minutes
Is it possible to emulate the cheesy, bacony flavor of traditional broccoli potato soup without using animal products? This recipe answers that question with an emphatic YES. Smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, and dill pickle juice (yes, you read that right) combine to bring you that traditional cheddar bacon flavor without any added fats, cheese, or meat.
More Delicious Potato Recipes to Fulfill Your Starch Fix
Everyone loves a good potato soup, but this isn’t the only potato dish that can provide the warm comfort we crave from this starchy vegetable. Here are a few more of our favorite dairy-free, vegan potato recipes.
- Vegan Potato Salad – This easy potato salad utilizes vegan mayo and comes together in no time.
- Creamy Vegan Scalloped Potato Casserole – These scalloped potatoes are covered in a deliciously creamy, cheesy, vegan butter sauce. They make the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any family dinner.
- Baked Accordion Potatoes – If you like potato wedges, you’re going to fall in love with these crispy, garlicky accordion potatoes.
- Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Burrito – This vegan breakfast burrito is loaded with protein thanks to tofu and beans. The crispy, roasted potatoes add texture and flavor. For a new take on this classic, use the filling to make yummy potato tacos.
- Thai Sweet Potato Curry – Okay, this one actually uses sweet potatoes, not white potatoes. But it’s so dang good we had to include it!
Our Favorite Recipe
If you’re ready to jump right in and make a fantastic vegan potato recipe, try our favorite below. It’s a keeper!
Vegan Potato Soup with Vegetables
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 or 4 leeks sliced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 ½ pounds potatoes cubed
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper plus more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon ground paprika
- Chives, fresh parsley, croutons for topping, optional
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the leeks, onions, and carrots. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the onions are somewhat tender. Add the garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and paprika. Mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- While the vegetables are cooking, peel the potatoes, if you’d like. Dice into cubes, about 1.5-inches each.
- Add the potatoes and vegetable broth to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the broth is slightly reduced and the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Taste the soup and add salt and pepper, if necessary. Spoon into bowls and top with chopped chives, fresh parsley, or croutons.
About the Author
Sara Seitz is a freelance writer living with type 1 diabetes. Her search for better health and better control of her blood sugars led her to a plant-based diet. When she isn’t experimenting with new vegan recipes, she’s helping spread the word about how plant-based is better for people and the planet. More articles by Sara.