Whether you’re craving a quick snack or simple lunch, this vegan egg salad recipe will surely hit the spot.
This vegan “egg” salad tastes delicious with crackers, like our popular Flax Seed Cracker recipe. You can also use it to make sandwiches and wraps, though we won’t judge if you want to eat it by the spoonful. It’s that good.
- Extra-firm tofu. Roughly chop the tofu into small squares, about 1/2 inch each. You can also just break it up with a spatula.
- Vegan mayonnaise. Mayo gives this recipe that classic egg salad taste.
- Lemon juice. This ingredient gives the egg salad a tangy flavor. You can also use apple cider vinegar.
- Mustard. Similarly, mustard adds brightness and tanginess to this recipe.
How to Make Vegan Egg Salad
This vegan egg salad recipe takes about 15 minutes to make. For the full ingredients list and step-by-step tutorial, check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1. In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, turmeric, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well.
2. Add the chopped tofu, dill, scallions, and celery. Stir well, then taste and add more spices if necessary.
Recipe Tips, Variations, and Substitutions
- Skip the celery. This recipe calls for finely chopped celery. But if you don’t like celery, feel free to skip it.
- Use dried dill. You can use one teaspoon of dried dill for every tablespoon of fresh dill.
- Mix in nutritional yeast. For even more flavor and color, add some nutritional yeast.
- Use other types of mustard. Yellow mustard can be used in place of Dijon mustard.
- Add chickpeas. To mix up the texture and flavor, replace half the tofu with a cup or so of canned chickpeas.
- Chill the vegan egg salad. This vegan egg salad tastes best when chilled.
- Add Himalayan black salt. Try adding a dash of Himalayan black salt to provide savory umami taste and a distinct sulfury egg flavor.
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftover vegan egg salad in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It’s best to avoid freezing this recipe as the mayonnaise will separate in the freezer.
- Flax Seed Crackers — Serve it with crackers for a quick snack.
- Vegan BLT Sandwich — For a tasty hybrid sandwich, add vegan egg salad to this BLT.
- Tempeh Bacon — Add chopped tempeh bacon for a smoky touch.
Vegan Egg Salad
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu drained, pressed, and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- ⅓ to ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons scallions choppeed
- ¼ cup celery finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, turmeric, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Add the chopped tofu, dill, scallions, and celery. Stir well, then taste and add more spices if necessary.
- One recipe makes about 2 cups of vegan egg salad. You’ll need about 1/2 cup for a sandwich, depending on the size of your bread or bun.
- You can use one teaspoon of dried dill for every tablespoon of fresh dill.
- For even more flavor and color, add some nutritional yeast.
- This vegan egg salad tastes best when chilled.
- Store leftover vegan egg salad in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Recommended Tools & Products