Thanks to this vegan omelette recipe, you can start your morning with a healthy, plant-based breakfast. It’s a delicious alternative to egg or tofu scramble, especially if you can’t eat soy or are transitioning into a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle.
The star of the show is chickpea flour, which is naturally gluten-free and high in protein and fiber.
When mixed with ingredients like non-dairy milk and nutritional yeast, the result is a wonderfully fluffy “omelette” that’s filling and nutritious. (It pairs perfectly with a vegan breakfast smoothie, by the way.)
You’ll also need non-dairy milk, vegan butter or oil, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, baking powder, and spices such as salt, black pepper, turmeric, and onion powder. Turmeric is optional, but it’s great for adding color and flavor.
Out of non-dairy milk? You can use vegetable broth or water instead.
Anything goes for the veggie filling. For this particular recipe, we used onions, garlic, green bell pepper, kale, and chopped tomatoes. You can also use classic omelette fixings like vegan cheese, avocado, and ketchup.
In a large bowl, combine the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, and spices.
Whisk together. (Tip: Prepare a large batch of these dry ingredients and store in an air-tight container. When it’s time to make breakfast, mix 1/2 cup with 3/4 cup liquid to make two omelettes.)
Add the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.
Over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil or vegan butter in a medium skillet. Pour 1/2 of the batter and spread into a circle, about 6 inches wide.
Cook until the center is bubbly and the edges are slightly puffy, about 5 to 6 minutes. The surface should no longer be shiny.
Carefully flip over and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Set aside on a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more oil or butter if needed.
Re-coat the skillet as necessary. Cook the onions and bell peppers until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add any greens and tomatoes and cook until the leaves wilt, about 3 minutes.
On one half of each omelette, add vegan cheese and cooked vegetables.
Fold each omelette.
Serve with ketchup, vegan sour cream, salsa, or avocado.
As with traditional egg omelettes, vegan chickpea omelettes can be made with whatever vegetables you have on hand. Keep in mind that some veggies require more cooking time than others.
Regardless of the fillings you choose, you can be sure that it will be delicious.
Pressed for time? Instead of making a neatly stuffed omelette, cook the vegetables in a skillet then add the batter. Cook and flip as usual to create a pancake-style “egg” breakfast. Enjoy!
Easy Vegan Omelette
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or oil plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk or water, vegetable broth
- 1/2 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 tablepsoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach or kale packed
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese shredded
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, and spices. Whisk well.
- Add the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Mix and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon vegan butter or oil. Pour ½ of the batter into the skillet. Cook until the center is bubbly and the edges are slightly puffy, about 5 to 6 minutes. Carefully flip and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more oil if needed.
- Re-coat the skillet as needed. Cook the onions and bell peppers until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add greens and tomatoes and cook until the leaves wilt, about 3 minutes.
- Add vegan cheese and cooked vegetables to one half of each omelette. Fold and serve with ketchup, salsa, or mashed avocado.