Once upon a time, people would have scratched their heads at the thought of cauliflower tacos. But thanks to the growing popularity of vegan and plant-based eating, the cruciferous veggie has found its place in Mexican-inspired cuisine.
This taco recipe, for example, features breaded and roasted cauliflower. The cauliflower is then layered in a tortilla with tasty taco fixings, creating a healthy and flavorful meal.
You can even toss the crispy cauliflower with your traditional taco fillings, whatever that may look like for you. This is a great way to simply eat more vegetables or slowly transition to plant-based eating.
How to Make It
To make crispy cauliflower tacos, you’ll need:
- panko breadcrumbs
- flax meal (optional)
- medium cauliflower head, chopped
- canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- non-dairy milk, water, or broth
- garlic or onion powder
If you eat a gluten-free diet, use gluten-free panko breadcrumbs.
Of course, you’ll also need tortillas and your favorite taco fixings.
Preheat the oven to 425° Fahrenheit. In a blender, combine the chipotle peppers and non-dairy milk. If you like very spicy flavors, feel free to add more chipotle.
In a large bowl, toss the cauliflower florets with the chipotle-milk mixture. Toss until the florets are fully coated.
In a separate smaller bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, cumin, onion powder, and flax meal. If you don’t like or have flax meal, feel free to skip it.
Coat the cauliflower florets in the panko mixture. Use a spoon or pair of tongs, as this can get messy if you do it by hand.
Place the coated cauliflower florets on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Roast the cauliflower for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and the coating is crispy and golden brown.
On a tortilla, layer the chipotle cauliflower with taco fillings like:
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped red onion
- sliced olives
- shredded vegan cheese
- fresh cilantro
The total number of tacos you can make will depend on the size of your tortillas, as well as the other fillings.
Don’t forget the condiments, too. Ideas for topping options include vegan sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and lime juice.
This recipe can also be adapted into a vegan burrito or burrito bowl. Yum!
- Jackfruit Carnitas
- Jackfruit Tacos
- Walnut and Tempeh Vegan Tacos
- Simple Vegan Taco Salad
- Vegan Refried Beans
- Southwest Tofu Wrap
- Vegan Quesadillas
- Vegan Nachos
Crispy Cauliflower Tacos
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1 cauliflower medium head, chopped into florets
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk, water, or broth
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or onion powder
- 8 to 12 tortillas
- Taco fillings of choice
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Combine the chipotle and non-dairy milk in a blender. In a large bowl, toss the chipotle mixture and cauliflower.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, flax meal (if using), cumin, and onion or garlic powder. Dip each cauliflower floret into the breadcrumbs to coat. Place on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and the coating is crispy and golden brown. Layer on tortillas with fillings of your choice.