If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to the traditional pancake, try making these vegan flaxseed pancakes. They’re made with simple, wholesome ingredients like flaxmeal, oats, and maple syrup. They’re also jam-packed with fiber (thanks to the flaxseeds), so you’ll stay full and satiated or a long time.
This easy breakfast recipe is also ideal if you’re out of wheat flour or looking for a gluten-free pancake. Use gluten-free oats and you’re good to go!
To make these vegan flaxseed pancakes, you will need:
- quick oats
- non-dairy milk
- maple syrup
- vanila extract
- baking powder
- vegan butter or oil
Tip: For sweeter pancakes, use a very ripe banana.
To make oat flour, process the oats in a blender until you have a very fine powder.
If your flaxmeal is still a bit coarse, process it in the blender as well. The finer your flaxmeal and oats, the less grainy your pancakes will be.
In a bowl, mash up the banana until liquidy. A large fork is useful for this step.
Add the remaining ingredients.
Stir until the batter is very smooth. At this point, you can add mix-ins such as:
- Dried or fresh fruit
- Coconut flakes
- Shredded coconut
- Chopped nuts
- Vegan chocolate chips
- Coconut “bacon” (for savory pancakes)
- Vegan sprinkles
- Orange or lemon zest
In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat vegan butter or oil. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet, gently spreading it out with a spatula.
You can also use an ice cream scoop or large spoon to transfer the batter. Depending on the size of your scoops, this recipe will yield 4 to 6 pancakes.
Cook until golden brown and the edges have set, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Top with maple syrup, chopped fruit, coconut flakes, and/or vegan butter. Enjoy warm.
A quick disclaimer: Compared to traditional pancakes, these pancakes are more dense and moist (due to the bananas and lack of wheat flour). But that doesn’t mean they aren’t tasty! They’re also much healthier than conventional pancakes.
Looking for more vegan breakfast or brunch recipes? Here are some of our favorites:
- Easy Vegan Protein Pancakes
- Hearty Gluten-Free Vegan Pancakes
- Vegan French Toast
- Gluten-Free Waffles
- Ultimate Vegan Breakfast Smoothie
- Easy Vegan Omelette
- Tofu Scramble with Roasted Potatoes
Vegan Flaxseed Pancakes
- 1/2 cup flaxmeal
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 banana
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cinnamon
- oil or vegan butter
- If you haven't already, process oats until you have 1/2 cup of very fine flour. You can also further process your flaxmeal, if necessary.
- In a bowl, mash the banana. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until smooth. Add mix-ins like chocolate chips or dried berries, if you'd like.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, warm vegan butter or oil. Scoop 1/4 cups of batter onto the skillet and gently spread with a spatula.
- Cook until the edges are set and the bottom is golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Top with vegan butter, fruits, or maple syrup.